I actually am allergic to Toradol.
I’m also allergic to Toradol! I was in the hospital for another kidney stone and they gave it to me and I started to have a MAJOR reaction, so they pumped me full of benadryl. Passing a kidney stone is awful. Passing a kidney stone AND having an allergic reaction is pure hell.
I HATE this shit. I have chronic pain, and when I get sent to an ER, this happens. I’m not allergic to Toradol and morphine; Toradol does not work. Ever. And given the pain meds I have to rely on every day, no, morphine will not do it either.
I have to say “Look, these won’t help me, I know that from experience, but Dilaudid will.” And then, I hope to God that they believe me. If not… Best case, I suffer for another hour while they “decide” whether I’m really in that much pain. Worst case, they refuse, and I’m left in searing pain and in tears, with nowhere to go.
So yeah. Sometimes, this IS the case. And I would rather give Dilaudid to 100 drug seekers than to accidentally leave one person in hellish pain.
I agree - this pisses me off as well. I’ve been in the hospital constantly for kidney stones (I’ve had 10) and EVEN THOUGH the hospital has all of my kidney stone records, they give me the side-eye until my test results come back. Morphine does work for me, but my body is used to it, so I have to have it at higher levels (which they won’t give me) and then I walk out of there with a prescription for 30 low-level Vicodins, that I’ll have to double up to be effective, which means it’ll last me a few days. My first kidney stone took a month to pass!!!!! I hate that they judge me so hard at the hospital, and even more so because I don’t have insurance, so I have to go to a state hospital who will admit anyone. So they’re already assuming I’m there just to get high. I DID NOT WAIT 18 HOURS TO BE SEEN AND AM PISSING BLOOD JUST TO GET HIGH, ASSHOLES!
The last time I had to go to the hospital (also for kidney stones! yay!) after they didn’t listen to me and gave me morphine and when it didn’t work they decided to find out why it didn’t work. When they found out I took vicodin for my regular pain I got judged SO hard because “WELL, you obviously have a tolerance!” As if that’s the worst thing in the fucking world and not that I had a kidney stone that was unable to be passed and needed an emergency fucking stent put in. Fuck you, I have a tolerance. I also have chronic fucking pain. Every goddamn day. Wtf do you expect me to do? I don’t understand this fear that everyones just going to the emergency room for drugs. On the street, you could get Percocets for $5-7 a pill. That’s a way better deal than going to the hospital and spending $100 just to walk in the door (with insurance!) on the hope that they’ll actually give you something for pain.
- christopherobert2351 reblogged this from trained-to-save-your-ass
- foxy3773 likes this
- primaryblogidontwant likes this
- anak1610 reblogged this from ermedicine
- triciamadeline reblogged this from nurse-on-duty
- chynabreann reblogged this from freeskywarp and added:
- neptunelovedme reblogged this from nurse-on-duty and added:
- jescruto likes this
- afellowmartian reblogged this from mssswitch
- afellowmartian likes this
- missgingerlee likes this
- forrestbondurant reblogged this from mssswitch and added:
- mssswitch reblogged this from supersoygrrrl and added:
- blissandzen likes this
- supersoygrrrl reblogged this from feelinghellastabby and added:
- whosthegirlwearingsunglasses reblogged this from feelinghellastabby and added:
- aka14kgold likes this
- feelinghellastabby reblogged this from bitchslap-barbie and added:
- bitchslap-barbie reblogged this from feelinghellastabby and added:
- anervousbreakthrough likes this
- flashing-lights-sirens reblogged this from nurse-on-duty
- beautifulgirlinatragicworld reblogged this from freeskywarp
- havetowelwilltravel21 likes this
- waterhorse reblogged this from young-medic
- nursedrei reblogged this from nurse-on-duty and added:
- nursedrei likes this
- idreamncolour reblogged this from nurse-on-duty and added:
- ntlfg reblogged this from freeskywarp
- neptunelovedme likes this
- dennissalexx reblogged this from anaphylaxisamanda
- nawalyxoxo reblogged this from freeskywarp
- mom-and-emt reblogged this from freeskywarp
- mom-and-emt likes this
- saltwaterandsaline likes this
- comestandwithme reblogged this from young-medic
- kamille09 reblogged this from nurse-on-duty
- austinvu likes this
- alainnebriste reblogged this from honordutyservice and added:
- thestarrs likes this
- honordutyservice reblogged this from young-medic
- paradoxicalmotion reblogged this from young-medic
- himselfcouldhavetheskies likes this
- musingsofanerdsicle likes this
- skiingsuperwho reblogged this from nurse-on-duty
- lydiaolydia likes this
- yogabound reblogged this from nurse-on-duty
- curlysugarmcgee reblogged this from nurse-on-duty
- halfdivahalfnurse reblogged this from nurse-on-duty and added:
- halfdivahalfnurse likes this