Isn’t it amazing how rhetoric shapes politics? Simple words and images. If you’ve studied US foreign policy specifically in terms of the Middle East and South and Central Asia, you’ll notice how the Western media has maintained a very strong and even strangely hypnotic kind of control over consumers when it comes to the notion of “danger.” It’s full of sensationalism and trigger-happy as well as trigger-paranoid narrow-minded discourse. After 9/11, the most “dangerous” places in the world were Iraq and Afghanistan. US and its allies deployed troops in both regions, killed thousands and thousands of Iraqis and Afghans, plunged itself into an economic failure, and unwillingly realized only recently that its decision was a flawed, hypocritical one.
Now the rhetoric has shifted its focus on Iran and Pakistan. Two countries that have been under aggressive and relentless US foreign policy for the past decade. With sanctions imposed on Iran and drone strikes in the tribal areas of Pakistan, USA continues to increases its violent pressure on both states. What’s amazing is how there’s very little opposition from American viewers; the majority plays easily into media’s aim to create a phantom Muslim enemy. An enemy that is, statistically speaking, so small and negligent that it barely exists as an “imminent” threat. Putting power politics aside, what does that say about Western media? It highlights its purposeful, malicious bias that perpetuates violence and bigotry against Muslims but it’s more than just that: Western media operates like a machine. It facilitates war.
Do you remember this from 1945? Look closer.
“Kill Japs, Kill Japs, then kill more Japs.” We all remember what happened then.
It’s just incredibly saddening. I grew up thinking words are obsolete, that human sensibility could see through the loopholes and inconsistencies of political rhetoric but when you have media so passionate about exaggeration and dishonesty, and people who are not only unaware but unmoved by tragedies proven over and over again, piles and piles of dead children and women and old people, it’s easy for war to happen - again. It’s convenient even. Because it satisfies that fear put into you. That “enemy” is dead, your politicians tell you. Then they create another enemy. It’s time to kill that “enemy” too.
Words are everything. Western media insists that it is “fair” and “neutral” but it contradicts itself by analyzing international relations without discussing actual politics. Yesterday everyone was worried about nonexistent WMD in Iraq and Afghanistan; today they’re worried about Iran and Pakistan.
And you know what could possibly happen after that. Everyone knows.
- theheraldryking likes this
- photoncerberus reblogged this from deathsblood
- inspiredesigncreate reblogged this from revolutionaryretribution
- anazayssufi reblogged this from lovenerdeen
- hayachu reblogged this from lovenerdeen
- hayachu likes this
- urbanizedpalestinian reblogged this from lovenerdeen
- urbanizedpalestinian likes this
- naveloftheworld reblogged this from lovenerdeen
- secluded-burrito likes this
- lovenerdeen reblogged this from mehreenkasana and added:
- dancinghathor likes this
- five99one reblogged this from zoophile
- paragon-of-animals reblogged this from zoophile
- dinosaursrampaging likes this
- haphazardlyblogging likes this
- reveuroiseau likes this
- zoophile reblogged this from mehreenkasana
- childrapist666 reblogged this from softpersianblue
- oumelghoula likes this
- droomsday likes this
- sommerrr reblogged this from mehreenkasana
- bougieasshoodlum reblogged this from aghettoyouth
- hypergiants reblogged this from theorthodoxbrit
- yourfutureblank reblogged this from aidanturnersface
- aidanturnersface reblogged this from almondskeyess
- ambuene reblogged this from removed-reality
- mech09 likes this
- rosedesire likes this
- mr-melatonin reblogged this from aghettoyouth
- aghettoyouth reblogged this from mehreenkasana
- queerfucker reblogged this from almondskeyess
- cradlemehappy likes this
- elvis-shrugged likes this
- wenowpresent likes this
- jiizzlling likes this
- tora-o likes this
- statistsgonnastate likes this
- basugasu-bakuhatsu reblogged this from kaaaaaaaaate
- kaaaaaaaaate reblogged this from phil0kalia
- petitmech likes this
- backdrifter reblogged this from mehreenkasana and added:
- satans-advocate likes this
- phil0kalia reblogged this from theorthodoxbrit
- deathsblood likes this
- deathsblood reblogged this from youreacactus
- selfihateyouithink reblogged this from actuallycrowley
- selfihateyouithink likes this
- patchedworklife likes this
- lilianne2 reblogged this from theorthodoxbrit